Catholic Youth Services and the Life, Marriage and Family Centre of the Archdiocese of Sydney are excited to be hosting the first Catholic Singles Conference to be held from 16 to 18 September 2016 in North Sydney.
The Catholic Singles Conference is all about giving single Catholics the opportunity to meet other like-minded singles, share their Faith and be encouraged. The Catholic Singles Conference will provide a range of social opportunities, but it is not primarily about finding a relationship; there will be a range of prayer opportunities, but it is not primarily a spiritual retreat. The hope behind the Catholic Singles Conference is to encourage attendees to live their singleness well and to become happier and holier people according to their current state in life. In a mix of keynote addresses, men/women sessions and workshops the Conference will discuss themes such as;
- Where is God in my singleness
- Spiritual motherhood and fatherhood
- Dating and chastity
- The importance of friendship
- Pornography and Lust
- The Feminine Genius
- Practical Living as a Single
The Catholic Singles Conference will feature two international keynote speakers flying out especially for this event. Fr Thomas Loya is the pastor of Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Parish in Homer Glen, Illinois and is a popular conference speaker on a range of faith topics. Mary Beth Bonacci is the author of the books, “We’re on a Mission from God” and “Real Love”, and has addressed thousands of young adults on issues of sexuality and the Theology of the Body. Both have presented on previous occasions at previous Catholic Singles Conferences that have been held in the USA.
Prayer will be incorporated throughout the Conference. Mass will be celebrated at the beautiful St Mary Mackillop Memorial Chapel where the tomb of St Mary of the Cross is located. Morning Prayer, Evening Prayer and Adoration will also be included.
And of course there will be plenty of social opportunities to provide inspiration and fun! Conference registration includes an evening cocktail reception on Friday night and on Saturday night, a formal three course dinner and 1950’s dance – lessons included – to be held in the Crystal Ballroom of Luna Park overlooking Sydney Harbour.
The Conference will be held in the Peter Cosgrove Centre located on Level 22 of Tenison Woods House on the campus of the Australian Catholic University in North Sydney. Newly completed, The Peter Cosgrove Centre is a state of the art function centre offering views of the Harbour and across Sydney. The Centre itself is a short 600 metre walk from North Sydney Train Station. Street parking is also available.
For those who wish to stay locally during the conference there are a range of accommodation options in North Sydney and the Sydney CBD.
Registration for the Catholic Single Conference includes all talks and events with meals from Friday evening until Sunday Brunch (breakfast excluded). During the online registration process there will also be the opportunity to express interest in the pre and post conference events. The pre-conference event will be the popular ‘Dating and Degustation’ evening to be held on Thursday 15 September, and the post-conference event will be a Harbour Cruise in the afternoon of the Sunday following the close of the conference. Both the pre and post conference events are not included as part of the registration cost and are dependent on sufficient interest being expressed.
We warmly invite all single Catholics to join us as we host what is bound to be a very exciting weekend. Please extend this invitation to any single men and women you know. We encourage early registrations as seats are limited and we expect places to sell out quickly. Click HERE to Registrations for the Catholic Singles Conference
Meet our Keynote Presenters
Fr. Thomas J Loya, is the pastor of Annunciation of the Mother of God Byzantine Catholic Parish in Homer Glen, Illinois, USA. He is also the host of two radio programs; “Light of the East” which can be heard in more than 60 cities across the United States on several Catholic radio networks including EWTN Radio, as well as “A Body of Truth” which is broadcast on Catholic Online Radio. Before entering the seminary Fr. Loya earned a degree from the Cleveland Institute of Art and pursued a career in commercial art and design. He later completed his studies for the priesthood in both Pennsylvannia and Rome where he attended the North American College earning an STB from the Angelicum University. During his time in Rome, Fr. Loya was first exposed to Pope John Paul II’s monumental teaching on the human person when he attended his weekly audiences about The Theology of the Body.
Fr. Loya was ordained in 1982 and was awarded a Masters in Counselling and Human Services in 1993. Fr. Loya has served the Church in youth and young adult ministry as well as an artist and design consultant. He has directed many retreats and has been a guest speaker at several conventions including World Youth Day 2002. Using his background in art, counselling, and Eastern Catholic spirituality, Fr. Loya brings the principles of The Theology of the Body deep into the lived experience of every aspect of human sexuality.
Mary Beth Bonacci is internationally known for her talks and writings about love, chastity, and sexuality. Since 1986 she has spoken to tens of thousands of young people, including 75,000 people in 1993 at World Youth Day in Denver, Colorado. She appears frequently on radio and television programs, including several appearances on MTV.
Mary Beth has written two books, ‘We’re on a Mission from God’ and ‘Real Love’, and also writes a regular, syndicated column for various publications. She has developed numerous videos, including her brand-newest video series, also entitled ‘Real Love’. Her video ‘Sex and Love: What’s a Teenager to Do?’ was awarded the 1996 Crown Award for Best Youth Curriculum.
Mary Beth holds a bachelor’s degree in Organizational Communication from the University of San Francisco, and a master’s degree in Theology of Marriage and Family from the John Paul II Institute at Lateran University. She was also awarded an honorary doctorate in Communications from the Franciscan University of Steubenville, and is listed in Outstanding Young Women of America for 1997. Her apostolate, Real Love Incorporated is dedicated to presenting the truth about the Church’s teaching about sexuality, chastity, and marriage.
6:00pm Registrations & Light Supper
7:30pm Session 1 (includes Night Prayer)
8:30pm Cocktail Reception
7:30am Breakfast (optional extra in local cafe)
9:00am Morning Prayer & Icebreaker
9:30am Session 2
10:30am Morning Tea
11:00am Session 3
2:30pm Session 4
3:30pm Afternoon Tea / Time to prepare for Dinner
4:00pm Holy Hour / Time to prepare for Dinner
5:00pm Free Time / Time to prepare for Dinner
6:00pm Dinner Dance at Luna Park
8:30am Morning Prayer & Icebreaker
9:00am Session 5
12:00pm Session 6
1.00pm Closing Session
1:30pm Optional Lunch
Optional Post-Conference Event – For those who are keen to extend their social time with conference participants why not join our post-conference sightseeing cruise on Sydney Harbour. Departing from Circular Quay at 2.15pm this afternoon cruise will allow you to unwind with those you have met and continue to meet more people. Enjoy a scone by the sails of the Opera House or a Machiatto under the Harbour Bridge. The cruise will return to Circular Quay at 3:45pm.
The cost for the sightseeing cruise is $49 and includes a glass of sparking wine, coffee and tea and a spread of sweet and savoury afternoon tea. The cost of the cruise is not included in the Catholic Singles Conference registration fee. Please indicate your interest in the cruise when registering for the Catholic Singles Conference. An indication of interest will not commit you to the event and it will only be run if sufficient interest is shown.
More Conference Details
- Cost and Registration
- How to get to the Peter Cosgrove Centre
- Hotels nearby
- Registration Cancellation Policy
- Luna Park Dinner Dance
- Age Restrictions
- Terms & Conditions
The Catholic Singles Conference costs $299. The cost is inclusive of all talks and meals (Friday cocktail reception, Saturday M/Tea, Lunch, A/Tea and 3 course dinner dance at Luna Park and Sunday Brunch)
Registration is NOW CLOSED
If you are joining us from interstate or are from Sydney and you’d just like to be closer to the action, consider booking a room at one of these hotels.
Please note that the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney and Catholic Youth Services do not have any affiliation or relationship with the recommended hotels. Accommodation is to be booked privately by conference participants
A full refund minus a $50 administrative fee is available before July 31st. From August 1st-31st, a refund of 50% of the registration fee will be given. After September 1, refunds are not available.
Please note that cancellation of conference registration does not constitute cancellation of a hotel room. Please be sure to handle both separately.
Gents…find the Brylcreem (www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6F4GtyRfto). Ladies…pull up your bobby socks. Grab a pal as we head back to the era of Buddy Holly and the Andrews Sisters! If you know the music you’re going to have a great time! If you don’t know the music it’s about time you got acquainted! We’ll be rockin’ and swingin’ the night away with our live band, Dick Smither’s and The Doo-Wops. And don’t worry if you can’t dance, the Sydney Swing Kats will be there to show you the moves.
And where is this blast into the past going to take place? The local community hall? The downtown milkbar? The school gymnasium? No, no and no. We are heading to the heritage listed Crystal Palace Ballroom within the iconic Luna Park on the foreshore of Sydney Harbour.
But it’s not just dancing with great views. There is food and drink! A delicious three course dinner with an alcohol package included. Make sure you wear your dancing shoes – cocktail dresses for the gals and suits for the boys – we want you looking sharp!
If you’re attending the conference and live to far from the venue, we will have male and female rooms which can be used for changing if you’d like to bring along your dress or suit.
Our 1950s Dinner Dance is the highlight of our Catholic Singles Conference which is taking place that weekend in North Sydney but this event is open to EVERYONE, even if you are not a part of the conference. Whether you have a dance partner or not, come along for an evening of dinner, drinks and dancing. All are welcome, single, married and everyone in between.
Saturday 17 September 2016
The Crystal Ballroom, Luna Park Sydney
Pre-drinks 6:30pm | Dinner at 7:00pm
$115 (includes) 3 course dinner + drinks + live band + dance lessons
PLEASE SHARE!! WHY NOT BOOK A TABLE OF FRIENDS?!
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com.
What ages can come to the conference?
Single Catholics of all ages (above 18) are welcome to the conference! No matter what your age, you will find others in the same age group. The Conference is being co-hosted by Catholic Youth Services and the Life, Marriage and Family Centre of the Archdiocese of Sydney.
Is this conference for me?
If you’re a single adult, whether never married, annulled, divorced, or widowed, the answer is Yes!
Sometimes it can feel like society places Marriage up on a pedestal as the key indicator of a successful and fulfilled life, but this conference is about acknowledging your singleness and becoming content and living a fulfilling life regardless of your marital status. It is about cherishing the relationships you have now and making a contribution to the community around you.
I am single but not looking to meet someone right now. Is the conference for me?
Yes! The Catholic Singles Conference is not just about meeting a potential spouse, but rather about living holiness now. It is an event catered to all singles, not just those who are looking for a relationship.
I am single but not Catholic. Can I attend?
We welcome all those who are single but not Catholic so long as they understand and accept that nature of this conference. The presentations will come from a Catholic perspective, the overall conference will be punctuated by prayer and the vast majority of participants will be Catholic. If a potential non Catholic participant is open to all this then they are welcome to register.
What if I’m divorced and don’t have an annulment?
Even if you do not have an annulment, attending the conference for the purpose of strengthening your relationship with God and meeting like-minded people who share your faith (and possibly have shared your experiences) is a good thing. There is so much to gain from the entire conference experience for those who, for whatever reason, are not looking to date at this time. Our hope is to encourage you in your faith and introduce to you a welcoming community of people. Hopefully the weekend will provide you with some great resources and will inspire you to take that energy back to your local parish.
Understanding the pain that is caused by divorce, we know that choosing to begin the annulment process can be a difficult decision and is very personal. We encourage you to seek out your parish priest or contact your diocesan tribunal office for guidance and to learn more.
Can I purchase a day-only ticket?
Unfortunately no, we want to maintain the integrity of the conference by building a sense of community amongst the group and that becomes difficult if new people are dropping in throughout the weekend. The 1950’s dinner-dance on the Saturday evening however is open to anyone (even you are not attending the conference). Tickets will go on sale for this right now!
When does the conference begin and end?
You can check in 6pm-7pm on Friday 16 September. The Opening Session begins at 7:30pm followed by the Welcome Cocktail Reception at 8:30pm. The conference ends with the Closing Session on Sunday, which finishes at 1:15pm. (Schedule subject to change.)
Pre and post conference events will take place Thursday evening 6:30-10pm, and Sunday afternoon (approximately 2pm-4pm), depending on which event you choose. Both events will only be run pending interest.
What if I arrive after the conference starts – will I still be able to check in?
Yes, the registration check-in table will be open until 9pm on Friday and then throughout the weekend while the sessions are going on. Please check in as soon as you arrive as your registration lanyard is your ticket into the events. We do recommend that all participants do their best to be at the whole conference though.
What is the attire for Saturday night’s Luna Park Dinner Dance?
The Theme is 1950’s rock n’ roll, so dress to the theme or wear your best cocktail dress/suit. But make sure your shoes are made for dancing!
What is included with the registration fee?
Standard registration includes full admission to all of the conference sessions and Saturday night’s 1950’s three course dinner dance (including dance lessons for all who want to learn!), PLUS entrance to the Friday Welcome Cocktail Reception. Meals include Morning Tea, Lunch and Afternoon Tea on Saturday as well as Brunch on Sunday. Registration does not include accommodation or pre/post conference events.
What is the best airport to fly into?
Is there transportation available from the airport to the conference hotel?
No, however from Sydney Domestic Airport the quickest way to the Peter Cosgrove Centre is by catching the train to central and then changing to the North Sydney train.
How can I get updates for the conference and future events?
We would love to stay in touch with you! ‘Like’ us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/CatholicYouthServices/ and sign up for our monthly newsletter http://www.catholicyouthservices.org/ we will keep you updated with all of the latest news!
I have other questions.
Email us your questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to give us a call at 02 9764 4357
The Catholic Singles Conference is for Single Adults aged 18 and above.
Catholic Singles Conference
The Terms and Conditions set out below comprise a legally binding agreement (Agreement) between you and the Catholic Archdiocese of Sydney (CAS) on behalf of Catholic Youth Services (CYS).
By completing the registration and paying the registration fee, you accept and agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions.
Terms and Conditions
1. The Catholic Singles Conference (Event) is being organised and conducted by CYS, an agency of CAS, from 16 September 2016 to 18 September 2016 (inclusive).
2. Before registering for the Event, please ensure that you have read the Event program and description as set out on the Event website (at http://www.catholicyouthservices.org/catholic-singles-conference/).
3. The Event is strictly limited to adults aged 18 years or above. By proceeding to register for the Event, you acknowledge that you are over 18 years of age.
Registration and Payment
4. Bookings will be allocated through the Trybooking website.
5. Payment is required upon registration. Once registration is complete, you will receive a booking confirmation and a tax invoice. Please keep a copy of the tax invoice as proof of payment as receipts will not be issued.
6. A full refund minus a $50 administrative fee is available before 31 July 2016. From 1 – 31 August 2016, a refund of 50% of the registration fee will be given. All refund requests must be in writing to CYS. After 1 September 2016, refunds are not available.
7. Failure to attend the Event will result in the full cost being incurred with no refund provided.
8. Any request for the transfer of registration must be made in writing to CYS by 31 August 2016 and include the full details of the person to whom the transfer is being requested for. The final decision regarding registration transfer is at the discretion of CYS.
Conference Program and Inclusions
9. CYS reserves the right to make changes to the published program including timings and/or speaker(s) if the advertised speaker(s) is unable to attend.
10. You are responsible for organising, financing accommodation and travel to the Event. Please note that any cancellation of your registration does not constitute cancellation of any accommodation or other privately made bookings.
11. The registration fee includes food and refreshments in accordance with the Event program as set out on the Event website. Any special dietary requirements must be expressed at the time of registration.
Consent to film and photograph
12. You consent to CAS filming and/or photographing you (Footage) for promotional and other purposes associated with the Event.
13. You consent to CAS and its nominees using the Footage and your name, voice, image and likeness for promotional, marketing or other purposes associated with the event.
14. You consent to CAS and its nominees without limitation using, reproducing, exhibiting, editing, adapting, compiling with other works or materials, transmitting, broadcasting, publishing and distributing the Footage in any media at its discretion.
15. You consent to being identified by your name and age when the Footage is used.
16. You acknowledge that CAS is not obliged to publish or otherwise use the Footage or any part of it.
17. You agree that any ownership of any form of intellectual property rights in the Footage and all works derived or created under it vest in the Trustees of the Roman Catholic Church for the Archdiocese of Sydney (Archdiocese Trustees) and that to the extent that any such intellectual property rights vest in you, you hereby assign, these rights to the Archdiocese Trustees.
18. You consent to any act or omission by the Archdiocese Trustees and CAS which may otherwise infringe your moral rights.
19. To the full extent permitted by law, you consent to the doing of anything in relation to the Footage that (but for the consents provided in this letter) would otherwise infringe any moral rights, performers’ rights or similar non-assignable personal rights that you might otherwise have including but not limited to publishing Footage without attribution and modifying/adapting the footage.
20. You agree to execute all documents and do all things required by the Archdiocese Trustees for the purpose of giving effect to the above requirements.
Termination and Limitation of Liability
21. Any breach of these Terms and Conditions may result in the termination of your registration or expulsion from the Event at the sole discretion of CAS at any time.
22. CAS, either directly or through CYS, reserves the right to terminate this Agreement at any time before the Event by refunding all fees paid by you to CAS in connection with the Event.
23. Registration and participation at the Event is at your own risk.
24. By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, you agree to adhere to all housekeeping rules, procedures and policies (including policies in relation to behaviour and conduct) that are in place at the Event or at premises or other venues in connection with the Event.
25. By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, you agree that you will not hold CAS, or any other entity on whose behalf CAS has entered into these Terms and Conditions liable for any:
loss, damage or injury to persons or property based on or in any manner arising out of or incidental to your participation at the Event;
theft of any goods, items, contents whether belonging to you or any other person; and
injury or death of any person
except to the extent that such loss, damage or injury is caused or contributed to by the negligence of CAS or any other entity on whose behalf CAS has entered into these Terms and Conditions.
26. The liability of CAS or any other entity on whose behalf CAS has entered into these Terms and Conditions is limited to the total value of the payments received by CAS from you.
27. CAS will not be responsible for any damage arising out of, and will not be in breach of this Agreement, if the Event is cancelled, suspended, or reduced due to failure of services or other force majeure events outside of CAS’ reasonable control.